Creative Youth BootCamp
Problem: Over 62% of Nigerians live in extreme poverty with youths 35 years and under constituting about 70% of the population of Nigeria (Sahara Reporters). Lagos alone had 18million people, as at April 2014 (CIA Fact book). Many young people (22.9%) migrated from the rural to the urban areas like Lagos in search of jobs (National Bureau of Statistics).
Solution: Develop a sustainable value chain for young creatives’ to create wealth.
Creative Youth BootCamp [CYBC]
CYBC started in 2016 and was executed in Lagos State with the support of the United States Consulate. One Hundred (100) youths from low-income backgrounds in Lagos State were engaged in this project and we successfully placed thirty-seven (37) of our trainees who are called ‘Street Project Ambassadors’ on internship and mentoring programs. In the end, our Ambassadors have become more confident, secured jobs, secured moral support from family members to start their own creative business and they also showcase their talent to a wide range of people on different platforms. Some of them also decided to pursue a University degree but most of all, the network of Street Project Ambassadors has become a strong support group for life.
In 2017, with the support from the U.S Consulate again and the Lagos State Government through the Ministry of Wealth Creation & Employment and the Ministry of Youth & Social Development, we have executed the second edition of this laudable project. One hundred youths were engaged yet again and over 60% of them successfully graduated from the program thereby increasing the pool of Street Project Ambassadors. Currently we are working on establishing Creative Hubs where our trained Ambassadors are empowered to Start-up their own Creative Businesses through the provision of performance space and seed funding.
Location: Lagos State
- Train five thousand youths by year 2025.
- Engage and place the most outstanding of them on internships.
- Attach participants to mentors aligned to their area of interest
- Improve their command of the English Language and communication skills
- Activate Creative Hubs where they can start-up their Creative Businesses
- Boost their confidence level
- Foster positive behavioral change
- The young people trained will establish Creative Enterprises and Secure Jobs
- Influential members of their families/society will begin to support the development of their talent in the arts.
- Bridge the educational gap that presently exists for youths from low-income families.
- Validate the premise that art builds character.
- The young trainees will have a clear direction on what their next steps in life should be.